An invitation to join Houston Main Street… We would love for you to be a part of Houston Main Street! Join today!
“What’s GREAT for Historic Hometown Houston—MAIN STREET is GREAT for all Houston!”
— Joyce East, Main Street Manager
Houston, Mississippi became the official 47th Main Street City in the State of Mississippi on September 14, 2004.
Historic Hometown Houston, the official name of the main street program operates under the umbrella of CDF Charities, Inc., which is a 501C-3 organization and partners with the Chickasaw Development Foundation.
The MAIN STREET Program is built upon a four-point approach which depends upon the full support and commitment of public and private sectors. The four points are:
- Economic Restructuring
1. Organization: The organizational elements bring together the public sector, private groups and individual citizens with coordination by a program manager to work more effectively in the downtown and surrounding areas.
2. Promotion: By promoting the downtown in a positive manner, a community can begin to focus on downtown as a source of pride, social activity and economic development potential. This involves enhancing the image and changing attitudes.
3. Design: Utilizing appropriate design concepts, the visual quality of the downtown building, signs, window displays, landscaping and environment is enhanced. The appearance of a community is crucial to its marketability.
4. Economic Restructuring: This element involves assessing and strengthening economic assets in the downtown business community. Main Street enhances customer attraction by developing ways to upgrade and expand existing business and creating an environment that will attract new ones to strength the mix.
What is our Mission?
“To enhance the quality of life through planned revitalization, diversification and preservation by promoting economic growth in Historic Hometown Houston through active community involvement.”
What are the objectives of Historic Hometown Houston-Main Street?
- To maintain, promote, and encourage the civic, social, commercial, and economic welfare of Houston, Mississippi with emphasis on the downtown area
- To enhance our sense of pride in existing Downtown Houston by emphasizing historical structures such as the Houston Courthouse and the turn of the century stores
- To develop a high sense of place making Downtown Houston a fun and welcoming place to visit and shop by creating a camaraderie with visitors, patrons, and business owners
- To attract new industry, retail business, and citizens to the community
What are the accomplishments of Historic Hometown Houston-MAIN STREET?
- Established Mission Statement
- Developed Historic Hometown Houston-Main Street by-Laws as a 501 (c) (3) entity under the Chickasaw Development Foundation
- Selected and approved volunteers on all four committees-developed rotation cycle of all committees
- Fall Décor sites in Downtown Houston
- Seasonal and Holiday Flag Program in Downtown Houston
- Business Christmas Trees
- Eighteen commercial planters with seasonal flowers and ornamentals
- Fourth of July Patriotic Décor at Houston Homecoming
- Two painted Medallions denoting Houston and Hilltoppers
- Easter Eggs and Tulips designed for Pinson Square
- Planted 200 Crepe Myrtles along entrance to Downtown Houston from MDOT grant
- Pep Rally/Tailgate Party in Downtown Houston
- Christmas Open House
- Christmas Fashion Show
- Houston Homecoming Partner
- Easter Egg Hunt
ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING COMMITTEE
- Façade Grants Processed for downtown merchants
- Bank Loan Program developed to assist for interior building renovation to downtown merchants